NEW FOR 2012:
- Revised fuel injection settings (mapping for injection and advance) offer smooth, controllable engine response in the low-to-mid-rpm range.
- New, longer 94 dB muffler.
- ECU programming is updated to optimize performance characteristics with the new-spec muffler.
- New front and rear suspension settings and valving deliver exceptionally smooth suspension performance.
- Dunlop® Geomax® MX51 tires provide great all-round traction.
- New seat foam material has an excellent cushion feel.
- Both color options feature rich-looking black rims and a gold color drive chain.
- The rearward-slanted engine allows for straight intake and exhaust ports, creating the most direct path for airflow into the fuel-injected engine for incredible performance.
- The YZ450F uses a battery-less fuel injection system with a 12-hole injector for superb fuel atomization. The 44mm Keihin® throttle body is designed for easy starting, with an integrated cold start and idle speed adjustment knob. Yamaha FI provides optimal air/fuel mixtures in all altitudes and wide range of temperatures for outstanding throttle response.
- 14 volt/110W high output generator powers the battery-less fuel injection system.
- 4-titanium valve cylinder head with a “pent-roof” design combustion chamber provides excellent combustion efficiency and unequalled power output.
- The big 97.0mm bore and short 60.8mm stroke, along with a high 12.5:1 compression ratio, create a combustion chamber that delivers really impressive power.
- The air filter case is up front, helping to keep dirt and dust kicked up from the rear tire away from the intake system.
- “Tornado-style” exhaust header with resonator efficiently scavenges exhaust gasses and helps the engine achieve its exceptional low-to-mid-rpm torque characteristics, while the longer muffler meets the latest noise standards.
- Clutch and transmission components are designed to give the rider positive and precise shifting feel.
- The aluminum double “S” bend Bilateral Beam frame is crafted from a carefully chosen combination of forged and extruded aluminum, 16 components in all, for the right rigidity balance and light weight. A very symmetrical chassis design promotes nimble handling, letting riders enter and exit corners as quickly as possible to put the competition behind them.
- Skid plate is constructed from tough polypropylene for great protection and low weight.
- The swingarm and rear shock are designed, with the shock mounted along the central axis of the frame, taking advantage of the space not needed for a traditionally configured engine’s airbox. This optimized combination delivers exceptionally linear performance for excellent bump absorption and awesome cornering ability.
- The KYB® Speed Sensitive front fork has excellent feel and shock absorption.
- KYB® rear shock includes a large capacity piggyback reservoir and 50mm piston for consistent damping control.
- Fuel tank is positioned underneath the seat, contributing to the centralized mass. The seat is long and flat to allow free rider movement, and has new seat foam material for an excellent cushion feel.
- The triple clamps have 22 mm offset for unequalled cornering performance. The ProTaper® bars are 4-way adjustable to accommodate a wide range of riders.
- The front and rear fenders, along with the number plate, side cover and front fork protector have been designed for an aggressive look. The bike’s minimalistic design accentuates its handling character. A minimum of plastic means the lightweight aluminum frame can be exposed for an enhanced performance look.
- Fuel pump is small and lightweight, as is the compact transistor ignition unit.
- Riders have a choice of two color options: Team Yamaha Blue/White or White/Red.
Model – YZ450FBL; YZ450FBW
Engine Type – 449cc liquid-cooled DOHC 4-stroke; 4 titanium valves
Bore Stroke – 97.0 x 60.8mm
Compression – 12.5:1
Fuel Delivery – Yamaha Fuel Injection (YFI), Keihin® 44mm
Ignition – TCI
Transmission – Constant-mesh 5-speed; multiplate wet clutch
Front Fork – KYB® Speed-Sensitive System, inverted fork: fully adjustable, 12.2-in travel
Rear Sock – KYB® Fully adjustable single shock; 12.4-in travel
Front Brake – Hydraulic single disc brake, 250mm
Rear Brake – Hydraulic single disc brake, 245mm
front Tire – 80/100-21 Dunlop® Geomax® MX51
Rear Tire – 120/80-19 Dunlop® Geomax® MX51
LxWxH – 86.4 x 32.5 x 51.6 in
Seat Height – 39.4 in
Wheelbase – 58.7 in
Ground Clearance – 15.2 in
Fuel Capacity – 1.6 gal
Wet Weight – 245 lb
Color Options – Team Yamaha Blue/White; White/Red