Kenny Gilbert, Hometown: Ermelo. S. Africa, Professional Off-Road Racer, GNCC National events, the OMA National events, and the annual ROOF OF AFRICA. We caught up with Kenny last week and ran these questions past him. See below for the Q&A session.
1. What do you enjoy the most about competing?
The feeling of getting out on the race track and once that flag drops to start the race there is no better feeling in the world knowing that every decision up till that race is going to determine where I will finish as well as the satisfaction of accomplishing my goals.
2. Besides riding what is your most favorite thing to do?
I like to be out in the wilderness and in nature adventuring with my family and friends. I feel I can get away from all the hype by doing this and get in touch with nature and appreciate what god has put on this earth for us!
3. What is the stupidest thing you’ve ever done and when?
When I was about 17 I was working on a live electrical point with a screw driver when I decided for some stupid reason to put it in the hole and it shocked me.
4. What is one of your biggest pet peeves?
I would probably have to say its when someone says they are going to do 1 thing and then they do not do it, a hypocrite basically.
5. Girls! Blonde, Brunette, or Redheads?
I’m not exactly picky about that as long as they are fun to be around and good looking I am happy, but if I had to choose between the 3 I would say brunette.
6. What is the dumbest thing you have ever said to a girl?
Normally when there is that awkward silence with the girl, to break the silence and to get some laughter going I will say, “what is the average speed of a African male ostrich, in kph”.
7. 10 years from now, where will you be and what will you be doing?
I would like to be at the top of my game. Meaning I would like to have achieved most of my goals in my racing career and at that point be at the peak of my career hopefully competing in the World Enduro Championship in Europe.
8. As of today, what has been your biggest accomplishment?
I would have to say my 10th place in XC1 in the GNCC last year as it was a hard year for me, I am 10,000 miles from home and my family so to try stay motivated to train and ride all by myself gets hard and with the help from Vance Earl and David Mcentire and my Dad,brother and family of course I managed to do it so I am proud of that!
9. Do you have a nickname?
Kenny G but my South African team mate and I call each other “Irradakie” (long story)
10. What is one thing you most regret NOT doing?
I can’t say I have any regrets. I try go through life having no regrets, living life to the fullest.
11. If you weren’t here doing what you’re doing now, where would you be and what would you be doing?
I like to have an ultimate goal in life to work towards as it keeps me motivated and dedicated to what I’m doing so I would choose to play rugby as it is a physically demanding sport.
12. What one thing do you most regret doing?
As I said before. I have none.
13. Do you have any bad habits?
I find myself rubbing the corners of my shorts to the point they have holes in them.
14. What is your biggest fear?
Loosing a family member.
15. When were you most scared?
I was on holiday with my father and brother and we decided to do sky diving, I was all big talk until we got 5000m up I was so scared and knew there was no turning back so I had to jump!
To find out more about Kenny and R2W racing click HERE